I’ve been doing this for perhaps four years now, so … it’s something I can write about. Here’s a rough outline:
- I use Day One1
- Every day, I write one entry on what happened that day
- Optionally (this is something I only started doing in the last couple months, but I like it a lot already), I add a few pictures from the day
- Once every week2, I go through the daily entries, and summarize what happened that week
- Once every month, I go through the weekly entries, and summarize what happened that month
- I share3 this monthly entry in a blog post
- Once a quarter, I go through the monthly entries, and summarize what happened that quarter
- Once a year4, I go through the quarterly entries, and get the “big events” for the year.
- I also share the yearly update in a blog post.